Who Do You Listen To?

Mother hens are violent.

I mean, really, have you ever watched them around their chicks? You’re liable to lose a finger if you try to pet one of the chicks. Ours reminded me of Matthew 23:37:


O Jerusalem, Jerusalem, the one who kills the prophets and stones those who are sent to her! How often I wanted to gather your children together, as a hen gathers her chicks under her wings, but you were not willing!



God describes Himself as a mother hen; He wants to nurture us and have us rest under the shadow of His wings.


Another thing I notice about our hen and her chicks, is how the chicks responded to the hen. If she called to them, they came running, and if the hen warned them of danger, they were quick to hide under her wings, knowing that they were safe.

Do we do that with God? When He calls us, do we immediately run to Him? The chicks would run to the hen even if they were preoccupied with eating some delectable delicacy when she called. When God calls us when we’re doing something that seems good (e.g. the chicks were supposed to be eating the food), do we trust Him that He is going to provide, even though He’s taking us away from something that seems “good”? Do we trust Him to change our plans and follow Him, even when it seems like He’s going the “wrong” way? When we’re in trouble, do we immediately run to God for protection, hiding in His safety, or do we isolate ourselves, leaving us vulnerable to the enemy?

He who dwells in the shelter of the Most High will abide in the shadow of the Almighty.  I will say to the LORD, “My refuge and my fortress, my God, in whom I trust.”  For he will deliver you from the snare of the fowler and from the deadly pestilence.
Psalm 91:1-3

My God, my rock, in whom I take refuge, my shield, and the horn of my salvation, my stronghold and my refuge, my savior; you save me from violence. I call upon the LORD, who is worthy to be praised, and I am saved from my enemies.
2 Samuel 22:3-4

Fear not, for I am with you; be not dismayed, for I am your God; I will strengthen you, I will help you, I will uphold you with my righteous right hand.
Isaiah 41:10
Though I walk in the midst of trouble, you preserve my life; you stretch out your hand against the wrath of my enemies, and your right hand delivers me.
Psalm 138:7  

The LORD is my light and my salvation; Whom shall I fear? The LORD is the defense of my life; Whom shall I dread?
Psalm 27:3

And if we’re not listening to God, we’re going to be listening the the evil one.

"Because he loves me," says the LORD, "I will rescue him; I will protect him, for he acknowledges my name.”

Psalm 91:14

Comments