Thoughts From Camp - Love the Unlovable

As we were at camp this last week, I was watching the kids and how they acted. The discussion between the girls was always about which boy they liked better (and visa-versa), and tempers flared quite easily. After trying to talk to them rather un-successfully (David did also), I un-knowingly started to have a rather self-righteous mentality. I’m so glad I’m not like that! And as soon as I thought it, God brought to mind the Pharisee...

Luke 18:10-14
Two men went up to the temple to pray, one a Pharisee and the other a tax collector. The Pharisee stood and prayed thus with himself, ‘God, I thank You that I am not like other men—extortioners, unjust, adulterers, or even as this tax collector. I fast twice a week; I give tithes of all that I possess.’ And the tax collector, standing afar off, would not so much as raise his eyes to heaven, but beat his breast, saying, ‘God, be merciful to me a sinner!’ I tell you, this man went down to his house justified rather than the other; for everyone who exalts himself will be humbled, and he who humbles himself will be exalted.”

It is only by God’s grace that I know Him and His Word. Without Him, I would be far worse than what the kids at camp were like. Have you ever thought about it? What would you be like if you had not been made new by Christ’s blood? Think of whatever you’re dealing with right now (pride, anger, etc) - the trials you’re having as a Christian - now imagine what it would be like if you didn’t have Christ. If you couldn’t pray and ask Him to help you. If you were raised in an atheistic family and school. You would be very different that what you are today.

It is only because of Christ that I am even here today. Without Him I would be totally and completely lost. Our family was once talking about what each of us would be like if we were raised in the “normal” American family. Might attend church every great once in a while. Maybe even attend Wednesday night *cough*party*cough* service. Attend public school where you were taught that you came from sludge and were no better than the animals. Watch 4 hrs of TV every day. The works.

I came to the conclusion, that if I had been raised that way, I would be pregnant by now, and I’d probably have an abortion because having a baby would be too much of a “bother” since I would be trying to start a career (I would have been a far-overachiever in school). I would be obsessed with looks, probably to the point of anorexia. Party’s on the weekends. I’d also have a dysfunctional family (I’d hate my brothers and be rebellious against whatever my mom said. In fact, David would probably have moved to some huge city and become a workaholic at some large business, and Robert would be in jail.)

Could you imagine it? Hopelessness. Depression. Anger. Fighting. Rebellion. Fear. Every Day. All day.

Yet, the life I just mentioned is actually happening around us. For our generation, that is their life. There is no purpose. And it is only by God’s grace that we are who we are and have a purpose. Without Him we would be like them. I can’t fathom what it would be like to live in that world. Can you?

These are the people we have been called to reach with the Gospel of Peace. They’re sinful. Destroyed. Hopeless. But God loves them unconditionally. These are the people He came to save and gave His life for. Yet sometimes they disgust us.

At camp there was one young man that was slightly older than I am that was showing me unwanted attention. And to put it bluntly, he disgusted me. After un-successfully trying to “subtly” tell him, “Please, leave me alone!”, I bluntly told him, “I don’t want a boyfriend!” (Truthfully, I didn’t even want to be his friend. And the thought of being his girlfriend was revolting.) Of course, I explained it to him in greater detail than above, but I don’t think I’ve ever been that blunt with someone. How do you explain something like that to someone who thinks that behaving improperly (in a pool) to a girl is okay?! They don’t have a concept of it at all! Yet, God loves him, with a love so deep that I do not understand.

These are the people He cares about. People like Justin, with their addictions and sin. They are His precious children. I can’t imagine how His heart must break for them. We must pray that God would break our heart for them. We may be the only thing in-between them and hell.

“If sinners be damned, at least let them leap to Hell over our dead bodies. And if they perish, let them perish with our arms wrapped about their knees, imploring them to stay. If Hell must be filled, let it be filled in the teeth of our exertions, and let not one go unwarned and unprayed for.”
-Charles Spurgeon






Comments

  1. Very good Sara! Always, Always, Always stay on our face before God and acknowledge that we are the worst of sinners, or at best, unworthy servants just doing what we should.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment