What Will Your Eulogy Be?

Today started out as a beautiful day. The weather was gorgeous, and I was well-rested and ready to tackle the day. 

Except, I found out 5 minutes after I had awakened that today was one of those days that horse breeders dread. This morning, we found our black Welsh colt, Saint's Knight of the New Dawn, dead in the horse pasture.




He hadn't been feeling well for several days, so Mom (especially) and I had kept a close eye on him. We suspected that he had eaten part of an Oleander plant, which is highly poisonous. Yesterday morning as I was taking photos of the ponies, he seemed to be feeling a little better, much to our relief.


But now, he's gone.

The little colt that I gave a belly-rub to yesterday. The one that used to gum-bite my nose before his teeth came in. The one that used to fall into my lap (literally) so that I would scratch him. The one with the off-set star on his forehead and extremely soft coat. Gone.



His conformation was superb, his temperament was excellent. He was our only foal out of Silver Light Saint, our black silver dapple stallion that we had raised. His mother was out of an old line of driving ponies with excellent movement. He had the ability to be trained for any discipline in the Welsh breed; halter, driving, etc. He also most likely carried the "creme" gene, making him desirous as a breeding stallion. He was our "Ace" foal.



It reminded me of stories that I've heard lately about how some young adults have (through random events) passed from the here-and-now into eternity. It is always un-expected, too. When we think of people dying, it is not usually young people that have their life ahead of them.

As I've read some of their eulogies, some of them have often accomplished so much for the Lord. He was their one focus. They were known for how they loved and served Him above all else. Though their life was short, they had spent it wisely in the pursuit of Christ. 

I've also read eulogies about other young adults, but nothing really stood out to me about them. Their life was "a vapor that appears for a little time and then vanishes away" (James 4:14), because instead of serving God fully, they filled their life with menial pursuits. They weren't the ones that after being with them for a while, you were encouraged to do something. They were the people that sort of just went through life, never making an impact on those around them for Christ's glory. They left the world the same as it had been before they were born.

It sobered me as I wondered, how I would be remembered? Would I be one that had put Christ as first in my life? As the one that encouraged others in their walk with God? Or would I be lackadaisical in my relationship with Christ? Would I allow the "cares of this world" to infringe upon my life? 

I don't fear death, I look forward to it, but I do fear not using my life fully in the King's service. When I stand before Him, I don't want to think, "How could I have used my time so ill?" 

Each of us will stand before a holy, perfect, all-knowing God that watched everything that we ever did, and heard everything we ever thought or said. The One of unapproachable light. Everything about our life will be pointless except our service to the King. It will be the only thing that will matter in eternity. 

What will your eulogy look like? 


His lord said to him, ‘Well done, good and faithful servant; you have been faithful over a few things, I will make you ruler over many things. Enter into the joy of your lord.’
Matthew 25:23

I have fought the good fight, I have finished the race, I have kept the faith. Finally, there is laid up for me the crown of righteousness, which the Lord, the righteous Judge, will give to me on that Day, and not to me only but also to all who have loved His appearing.
2 Timothy 4:7-8

Comments