Live Life


If you had asked me when I was 10 what I wanted to be when I was older, I probably would have told you married and/or a veterinarian/horse trainer/professional singer. But instead, I’m here on a beautiful Caribbean island for 4 months, loving on kids and teaching them about Jesus, and getting ready to go into full-time missions.


What?!


That was definitely not in my 10 year old’s master plan.

2007 - Halter-breaking Freedom

Yet here I am, and I can’t imagine being anywhere else! But I find it very funny because my 10 year old self would have thrown such a fit if you had told her this was where she would have been in 11 years. No joke. This is so far from what I wanted back then.


It makes me think about my friends in various positions. Engaged. Getting a degree. Serving in the local church. Single. Serving in a nation across the ocean. Married with kids. Teaching adults. Teaching children. Living with their parents. Living on their own.

2008 - Some of our lovely dogs that we've had through the years

Each of you have a particular task for your life you have been called to. And the part of your life that you're currently at, you may be hating it. It's the absolute worst thing you've ever had happen to you. Yet everything that happens in our lives happens for a reason. Wherever you are is part of your journey to get where God wants you. Not where you want to be, but where God wants you.


If I had followed my 10 year old self's plan for my life.... yikes! Yet it made perfect sense at the time. Only being able to look back on it has shown me the error of my ways.


All of this just to say, whatever you think might happen or you wish might happen or you're planning to happen, might not. The end result for where God puts you might have nothing to do with what you want to do. I didn't go to college to get a veterinarian degree, I sold my horses, and I stopped taking voice lessons and participating in theater.


2009 - Theater production of Annie Jr.

What about you? Are there things/plans/aspirations that you're holding onto in your life that need to be given to God?


And it's okay if you can look at it and say, “No, I don't want to give it up.” I did not want to be a missionary when I was 10 – God had to work and change my heart for 5 years. But be ready with whatever you have – because I can almost guarantee the next 10 years are not going to be what you think they'll be like!


And be content! This part of your life is only going to add onto the next part, and God has you at the particular point for a reason. Use your marriage to glorify God. Use your singleness to serve. Get your degree to fulfill God's calling on your life. Serve at your church. Finish an apprenticeship. Disciple someone. Go pass out water and food to the homeless and tell them about Jesus. Do something!

2014 - YWAM DTS


Use every opportunity for the glory of God. We only have so much time left here on earth - don’t waste what God has blessed you with.


Trust in the Lord with all your heart, and lean not on your own understanding;
In all your ways acknowledge Him, and He shall direct your paths.
Proverbs 3:5-6

2016 - Loving and teaching children in St. Vincent! 

Comments