Patience

I was tired.

I mean, isn’t that enough of a reason?

“Sara, what’s up with your attitude? Are you okay?”
“I’m tired...”
“Oh, I’m sorry.”


Instantly, I was justified. After all, we all know it’s impossible to control ourself when we’re tired, right?!

Wrong.....

That was Thursday morning. I didn’t want to be cranky. I didn’t want to be rude. I just wanted a nap... or two.... and and early bedtime...

We were gone all day that day at a friends house that we hadn’t seen for a while (which was absolutely wonderful! I just wish I had been more awake so I could have enjoyed it more...). Needless to say, we didn’t get home until midnight (we squeezed as much visiting time in as we could!), and I felt like I could collapse. All I had to do was bring my two Schnauzer’s in and put them in their crates, and then I could succomb to sleep. Which would have worked beautifully... if not for Mini.

Mini is our 4 pound Yorkie/Pekingese puppy. She’s not fully trained and one of her favorite things to do is race past you when you open the door. She also doesn’t come to her name 100% of the time. So, I half-asleep opened the door to call my dogs in, and Mini decided that it was play-time. In she ran, on the other side of Lady (so that I couldn’t stop her... did I mention she’s smart?), and promptly started racing around the living room.

“MINI!!!!!!”

For those of you that don’t know, dogs are tonal. A deep, growled-like word is the equivalent to one of them growling at another one. And I can mimic a dogs growl fairly well...

Mini! You bad dog!”

“Sara,” my mom called from the other room, “Be patient with her! She’s still learning!”

The first thing I thought of was Patient?! I don’t want to be patient... I want to sleep! But, then I thought of something....

If this was a child, would I have responded the same way? How would I responded if it was my friend? Or a family member?

It wasn’t a human, and so I allowed my grouchiness to affect me, after all, I would have responded differently if it wasn’t a dog... right?

Maybe... maybe not....

Everything that we say/do trains us for future events. If I’m not keeping my room clean now, what makes me think that in 2 years I’m magically going to change my ways? If I’m getting that angry at a dog, what’s to keep me from doing it to a human? One thing always leads to another....

I was tired, granted, but no where in the Bible does it say anything about “Be kind and compassionate to one another... as long as you’re not tired.” Whether I’m tired or not, it should not affect my personality or how I act.

For this very reason, make every effort to add to your faith goodness; and to goodness, knowledge; and to knowledge, self-control; and to self-control, perseverance; and to perseverance, godliness; and to godliness, brotherly kindness; and to brotherly kindness, love. 
2 Peter 1:5-7

There is no hidden clause of, “if you feel like it, act like this....” We are instructed to do it whether we want to or not. Whether we feel like forgiving someone or not; whether we haven’t been sleeping well and someone asks us to help them; whether a dog doesn’t do what it’s supposed to.

What if I responded patiently when I was tired? What if I made an extra effort to be gracious and loving, especially when I knew I was tired?

Upon realizing that, I was able to calm myself and calmly call Mini, which she responded to perfectly and promptly came to me. It was if God was saying, “See? Everything works out much better when you remain calm and patient.” It was rather ironic.

Something to think about next time next time I’m feeling grouchy and tired... [smiles]

Comments

  1. Thanks for sharing this Sara!!! Just what I needed after this week. I'm afraid I was very grouchy and blaming it on lack of sleep, and not taking responsibility for my own actions....Thanks for the encouragement!!!!
    <3,
    Es

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad it was an encouragement to you, Es! I have a tendency to do the same thing. :)
      <3,
      Sara

      Delete

Post a Comment