Thankfulness....

This was written November 20th, 2008.


And we know that all things work together for good to those who love God, to those who are the called according to His purpose. Romans 8:28

          Our family was probably considered poor in CA; we did not have fancy cars, and the one we had was always dirty. We only bought new clothes if they were on sale, but we were never in want. We always had food to eat, clothes to wear, running water, and everything a family needed. We had a wonderful home school group, called Amazing Grace Academy, and we seemed to be busy with one event or another every weeknight. I was as happy as any 9 year old could be, and then, we moved.
          When we moved to Texas four and one half years ago I was everything but thankful. I did not understand how moving to Texas was God’s plan, nor how He could do that to us. I was, though I did not really realize it then, mad at God. I remember every night before we left California going to sleep crying. I had never lived anywhere else, and now we were moving two states away from our home.
           It took me more than three and one half years to realize why God had moved us here. By that time, everything that I had missed in California I once again possessed, and even a bit more. We have thirty-three dogs, three horses, four ponies, two pony foals, three goats, nine chickens, and one cat that has kittens a few times a year. We have new friends, new activities, and a new home-school group.
          I realized that I would have missed so much if we had continued to live in California. I would never have met my friends that I have now, would never have had thirty-three dogs, and would never have experienced the joy of training horses.
           I realize that I love Texas and do not want to move back to California. I would miss the open pastures, the people, the mobile homes being carried on the roads, and even the leaning houses. I see that Texas is my home now, and that “all things work together for good to those that love God,” even if your situation seems to be hopeless or completely different than you would prefer.
          So many times God tells us to do something and we refuse, because we say, “How can that turn out well?” What happens is that we are thinking in the earthly view, not God’s view. God’s view is so much larger than ours, and He knows exactly how it will turn out even before it happens. When we moved, I was only thinking about what I was going to miss, not thinking about how God could teach me so many things here. He taught me so much and I would not trade it for anything.

Comments